Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Cutting of the Christmas Tree

First, my favorite quote of the week:

"Nine times out of ten I get that little, short one. And she can't remember her ass from a hole in the ground."
-Dad, explaining why his dialysis treatment took longer than usual.

I haven't been home for the annual trek up into the mountains to find and cut down that perfect Christmas tree since I was in high school. This is now a grand adventure, involving several neighbors who have become extended family.

Video:


Sorry if you got a kink in your neck watching that. I have now discovered that I can't turn my camera when taking a video. Has to be horizontal. Like a TV screen, I guess. Huh.

Okay. If you haven't visited my friend Kathryn's blog, you need to! She has a spectacular mind. And she is so descriptive. This makes for some good reading!! She just flew to Johannesburg to help impoverished and orphaned children for the holidays. Here is her blog: My Amazing Journey

I am inspired by friends this year (Hello Rachel! Hello Kathryn!), who are each donating what they can for Christmas to those less fortunate. Kathryn...off to South Africa to share her talent and passion. And Rachel...packing shoe boxes full of toys and goodies and sending them to kids in Southeast Asia. As for me...I'm donating to the local food bank. What are you doing?

Ideas:
My favorite food bank (one that I have needed in the past): Northwest Harvest

Make a loan Change a life: Kiva

Lifelong AIDS Alliance

Find your local food bank: Feeding America

Merry Christmas!

Ernest

2 comments:

  1. I go donate blood every so often, since I am an O-negative and my blood type helps a lot of people. Puget Sound Blood Center has wonderful (and comfortable) donation facilities, and Daniel and I found one just a bus ride away from our apartment. It makes me feel good that I can help people and get a cookie all in the same day:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did my Christmas shopping for my brother in law on Heifer International (send livestock and training to developing countries). For her birthday, my friend got a Kiva gift certificate (individual microfinance loans - hurrah!). And I just returned from spending the night at a women's homeless shelter so 9 women could get off the streets for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete