Friday, February 19, 2010

Dr. Drew holding back the tears

Last night, we watched an episode of Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew that had me weeping unashamedly. Mindy McCready, if you remember, was set to be the next country music superstar back in the mid-nineties. And then she disappeared seemingly overnight. She suffered a physically abusive boyfriend, and then alcohol and drug addiction put her in jail for 6 months. On last night's episode of Celebrity Rehab, the gang organized a dinner dedicated to their closest family and friends who were mistreated over the years yet still stayed and loved them. Each patient spoke a few words and then Mindy sang this song. Even Dr. Drew was fighting back the tears. Here's the video:



Watch it on youtube: Mindy McCready Makes Dr. Drew and Tom Sizemore Cry with "I'm Still Here"

Mindy seems to be doing great now, and I personally can't wait for her new album to come out on March 23, 2010! Visit her website: Official Website of Mindy McCready


Not that long ago, I viewed addicts as weak. I had no compassion for them. But now, after struggling with my own demons and coming out on top, I understand how something can be bigger than you. Something can be stronger than you. Something can sneak in and hijack your life. And I get angry that this can happen. Look at Mindy McCready. We have been denied her wonderful talent these last 15 years, and she has been living in hell. Years of her life have been wasted. Years of my life have been wasted. And I want to apologize. Not sure why I'm telling you this, except that if you do know someone struggling with addiction know that it's not the person that is weak, it's the disease that is strong. Perhaps you can have compassion for them. And if you are the one struggling with addiction...please tell someone.

All my best,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment