Sunday, April 12, 2009

Check one item off the BUCKET LIST

Michael has a bucket list. And one of those items of things he wants to do before he "kicks the bucket" is see the Grand Canyon. Well, today we did it.

The drive on I-40 from southern California to Flagstaff, Arizona, is to me very beautiful. Yes, it is high and dry desert (boring), but the colors of the stone and grasses and the windswept canyons are very striking to me. I especially enjoy the names of the flash flood washes along the way. There is the "Rattlesnake Wash", the "Old Man Wash", and (my favorite) the "HOLY MOSES(!) Wash".

We made it to the Grand Canyon about 2 hours before the sun set. It wasn't terribly crowded, which was great. We were able to drive along the South Rim and stop off at the numerous viewpoints and find parking. Plus, it wasn't so crowded that you thought you were going to get knocked off the ledge by some other tourist desperate to get their picture taken! The Grand Canyon is truly awe inspiring. I felt thrilled to be able to share it with Michael who was seeing it for the first time. We stayed until the sun set and the cold set in. We took lots of pictures but I'll just post a few on here. Oh! We met 2 ladies who were on a cross country road trip of their own. One lady was from Ohio and had driven down from Ohio to pick up her girlfriend in Tennessee and then out to the Grand Canyon. We chatted for a little while and then they took our picture.






3 comments:

  1. Hey, I think Anita and I have the exact same picture standing by the tree
    , but with us in them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jealous...It's still on my bucket list. We actually drove 5 hours from Vegas to visit the Grand Canyon. The weather was perfect until we were about 10 miles away when it became super cloudy. We made it to the south rim but couldn't see a thing.

    ReplyDelete