Thursday, April 29, 2010

Day 11-Foul, feted, fuming, foggy, filthy...Philadelphia!

Michael and Anne in front of Independence Hall

1776 anyone? Every time I see Independence Hall in Philadelphia I start humming songs from the movie musical 1776 like John Adams singing: "We piddle, twiddle, and resolve. Not one damn thing do we solve in foul, feted, fuming, foggy, filthy Philadelphia!" And I picture the great Ron Holgate as Richard Henry Lee of Virginia roaring around on his horse singing: "Here-a-Lee, there-a-Lee, everywhere-a-Lee-a-Lee! And may my blood stop running blue, if I can't deliver unto you a resolution on independency!" But enough of the musical references...

We had another great visit to another historic city today. This was my second time in Philly, and it wasn't as emotional as my first trip. I was really surprised at how patriotic I felt seeing Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell for the first time. But that was prior to 9/11 and you could walk pretty much anywhere you wanted. Today, you have to pass through security cordons and have your bag checked to get near anything. It still brings out my inner patriot, though. It's wonderful to see where our bid for independence began. To walk one block and be where Thomas Jefferson penned the Declaration of Independence. To sit in the shade of the Betsy Ross house. To send postcards from Benjamin Franklin's Free Post Office -- where old Ben invented the postal system that we still use today. So much history!

The Betsy Ross House

We also visited the Rodin Museum where we saw "The Gates of Hell" and "The Thinker". It's a free museum, so definitely worth the trip.

A bronze cast of the original "Gates of Hell" by Rodin

AND we stuffed ourselves silly with cheese steak sandwiches at Pat's King of Steaks.

Mmmmmm....cheese steak....drool....

Home of the original Philly Cheese Steak!

1 comment:

  1. You quoted 1776!!! It's my favorite musical!! Well, one of my favorites, anyway.

    First time reader...looking forward to reading more about your adventures!
    Cheers!
    Jenny B.

    ReplyDelete